Wednesday 16 May 2012

Finally ~ a diagnosis!

I fired my family doctor.

He is lovely & caring but wasn't taking my concerns seriously. Six weeks of pneumonia is crazy & having to endure test after test after test & then have meds given to me that I'm either allergic to or they didn't work has been so frustrating. Got in to see a new doctor, a naturopath & she had a diagnosis within two hours of sitting & talking with me. And it all makes sense & scary at the same time. But it will be a bit of a journey to recover. I'm glad we leave for holidays on the weekend so I can just concentrate on getting better. I have to teach a class on Thursday night & then Saturday morning & then I'm done for 3 weeks. The diagnosis so far (she thinks there is more but that will come after my June appointment) is Adrenal Gland Disease. Right now, she's trying to determine if it's simply AGD Fatigue or AGD Failure. First is ok, fixable & liveable but life changes to accomodate. Second can be fatal if not treated but we started treatment right away yesterday, so very hopeful. Completely answers why I have pain throughout my body, total exhaustion (driving to my centre is literally a 2.5 minute ride but I'm exhausted when I pull into my parking lot), always dizzy, low, low, low blood pressure, easy bruising, constant nausea & no appetite, even though I've gained lots of weight. Some I clearly needed, as I have been a recovering anorexic all my life but still, the last few pounds have been totally fat! I went to the store the other day to pick up 3 items. Standing in line, my legs started to shake & I had to sit for a minute before I could get up to pay. She describes it like my body is attacking itself & trying to "shut down" which is exactly what it feels like. I felt such relief in knowing there is a reason that this pneumonia has been so stubborn & that all these things are not in my head. I was really starting to think it was. Now we can hopefully get things back on track so I can get back to life!

That's my update. An answer, now treatment & hopefully a good recovery so I can finish up the things I love to do. :)

4 comments:

  1. (((hugs))) So glad you finally got some answers! It's terrible feeling like that... I hope you're able to start on the healing process & feel better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla. It's so good to have an answer, even if it's just a partial one for now. But to know I can now be treated & get back to a "normal" life instead of a life of pain & confusion is a gift. Looking forward to feeling better soon.

      Delete
  2. Wow! So sorry to hear you have been going through all of that! Glad you were able to get some *correct* treatment and I hope you start feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. It's been a long struggle & in the end, I think my doctor was just frustrated with not being able to answer my constant "why do I feel this way" question. I'm frustrated he couldn't see the answer. But I won't hold bitter feelings. Now I can move forward!

      Delete