Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Tuesday Time Diary

Borrowed from Sammyleia's blog: Thought it would be a neat idea to see where all my time goes every day. And why I'm so tired at night. So here's what I did, 24 hours ago, on Tuesday, the 17th of April:

7:25 a.m. woke up for good. Was woken up briefly by Kent just before 7:00 a.m. as he was leaving for work. He always wakes me up to kiss me goodbye & make sure I'm awake for the day. I always thank him & promptly fall back to sleep!

7:30 a.m. after a few minutes of stretching & yawning, turned on my laptop to see what's happening in the world. Realized it was chilly & a bit rainy outside. Crawled out of my warm bed to put on my robe & turn on the heat. Back to the "office" aka my bed.

9:10 a.m. up for a shower after an hour & a half of reading blogs, answering emails, writing & watching a bit of tv, while deciding what to wear for the day.

9:40 a.m. showered, dressed & prettied up.

9:45 a.m. leave the house to head to Costco to pick up my prescription that was filled the night before. They want me to start taking the drug as soon as I pick it up to get rid of this nasty bronchitis.

9:52 a.m. arrive at Costco, which opens at 10:00 a.m., to a parking lot full of people waiting. Notice that the spiral trees we noticed the night before are still there. Ooh, score one for us! The night before we admired them greatly, wondered if the price was good & then left but when we got home, expressed some regret we didn't buy any. Our 20 year old cedar bush was crushed in the last snow storm. The weight of the snow pulled it right down to the ground & it split. We recently decided we would spend $500 on a couple of trees this summer, one to replace the cedar & one to replace the Russian Olive that came down in a thunderstorm last summer.

9:53 a.m. head into Costco & am puzzled why everyone is waiting in their cars. The door is open, even though they technically don't open until 10:00 a.m. Lady at the door tells me every morning they open at least 10 minutes early & every morning the parking lot is full of  people sitting in their cars. A very trained community I live in. And yes, I am the true rebel!

10:20 a.m. emerge from Costco with 5 trees consisting of 2 tall spirals & 3 pink flowering plums. Before anyone gets upset with my large, slightly unplanned expenditure, the total for all 5 trees came to a very conservative sum of $164 (including tax). Best part of the transaction? The help I received getting all 5 trees into our car, from a very dear friend of ours who works there & happened to be the guy they called to help me. We had a laugh & a hug & that hug carried me the rest of the day. I love Costco, not just for the prices & the unique items we find there but the customer service from day one has been incredible. I often wonder what they do to train their staff, who are always smiling, helpful & never stressed!

10:25 a.m. go back into the store after the trees are safely tucked in my car to pick up my drug. The pharmacist lets me know, after I've paid, that this drug was a substitute for the original, because as it turns out, the original I would be allergic to. However, the new drug could make me quite drowsy & I am advised to take it at night. I wonder how drowsy I'll be but take the advice & don't take the drug just yet.

10:38 a.m. arrive home & dd helps me unload trees into the safety of our garage for now.

10:45 a.m. head into work.

11:08 a.m. arrive at work. Workmates are happy to see me as I haven't been in since Thursday. Lots to fill me in on. And my student is in for her last full day at the centre. Munch on a large muffin for my lunch. We spend the day getting our resources together for a workshop that is being held in the city for the next 2 days. We have a table display & she's a great help in getting our handouts printed off. We also talk about the workshop we presented on Saturday (great success) & how her practicum has worked out nicely for her. Glad we still have one more day to spend together but then she surprised me by asking if it's okay to volunteer in our evening children's grief program. Yeah!! I get to keep her for now.

3:04 p.m. leave work to head home for a nap.

3:30 p.m. arrive home just as Kent arrives. We spend some time outside as the sun finally came out. Our daughters are done for the day & take our grandson down to the park.

3:50 p.m. start putting together my meeting plan for the evening. Small group so short time to do this. Start working on a Power Point to run on my laptop during the workshop.

5:30 p.m. Kent brings dinner up to my "office" & we eat together while watching House Hunters.

6:40 p.m. leave for my meeting. Get to my office 2.5 minutes later & spend some time listening to voice mails, answering them & gathering more items for the workshop table display.

7:30 p.m. leave the centre. As expected, no one comes to this month's drop in, which I truly thankful for. The last meeting was very small & this group may have a lull for a bit until new members join in.

7:35 p.m. arrive at Dollarama to pick up some cards & stickers. Spend $15.75 - to be reimbursed.

7:50 p.m. arrive home to music & a dancing grand baby! He insists I join in. We dance & play until his bedtime.

9:30 p.m. back to my "office" to work on the PP, in my jammies. Eat a small bowl of fresh strawberries. Take the drug, as advised. Wait for the drowsiness to set in.

10:00 p.m. awake.

11:00 p.m. more awake.

12:00 a.m. very awake.

1:00 a.m. wide awake.

2:00 a.m. still frigging awake!! Obviously this drug is NOT making me drowsy but is inducing some lovely insomnia instead. By now, I have decided who to vote for in the upcoming election, planned out the table display, written in my head the rest of the PP, planned our driving route for our upcoming holiday, decided what to do with the "oops, I forgot to add that to our income budget" fee for teaching coming to me this week (an extra $320 we hadn't counted on), wrote a chapter for the book I'm writing, in my head & tossed & turned so much, it woke Kent - oops!

3:00 a.m. until 6:00 a.m. still awake. Finally around 6ish, as the sun is rising, I fall asleep.

7:00 a.m. reluctantly, Kent wakes me up. Thankfully, because I am at the workshop tonight, I had cleared my morning, so I can rest anyway before heading into the city around 2:00 p.m. this afternoon. Hopefully, I'll be able to stay awake until the evening is over at 9:30 p.m.

And that was my Tuesday! How was yours?


  1. Thank you for mentioning me :)
    I loved reading about your day. Thanks for sharing. How annoying to suffer insomnia, especially when you're not well!

  2. Oops,just saw this. I love reading about your day and thought it would be fun to see what I had done too, since I'm usually so busy doing it all, I never think about it!